Baseball announces 2017 recruiting class – LipscombSports.com
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb baseball head coach Jeff Forehand announced the addition of seven players Friday to the Bisons 2017 recruiting class.
Forehand and his staff, who have signed 33 players in the last four years, upgraded their roster with the addition of three pitchers, two infielders and two outfielders to complement a bevy of returning players.
“As a group I think we have a very solid class. These seven guys are all good players, but they are also going to fit right into Lipscomb’s culture and our baseball culture. It was a great opportunity to be with them and their families last week,” Forehand said.
“We are thankful for them joining our family here at Lipscomb and we believe this is the start of something special.”
The class includes players from the states of Tennessee, Georgia and Indiana and fills a big need with three left-handed pitchers.
Here’s a quick look at the seven signees and Coach Forehand’s thoughts on each:
Jecorrah Arnold | 3B/OF | R/R |6-1 | 190 | Athens, Georgia (Clarke Central HS)
- Rated the top third baseman in the state of Georgia and the 38th best player overall by Perfect Game.
- Ranked as the 22nd best third baseman and the 380th best overall player in the nation by Perfect Game.
- Named a Perfect Game 2016 Underclass High Honorable Mention.
- Earned four letters in baseball for the Gladiators.
- Named to the Honor Society and the Honor Roll at CCHS.
- Plans to major in Business.
- Also recruited by Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kennesaw State and Georgia State.
- Favorite book is Catcher in the Rye.
- Favorite professional athlete is Barry Bonds.
- Has a hidden talent of Yo-Yoing.
“Jecorrah is an offensive third baseman and we really think the sky is the limit for him. He could potentially play some outfield as well, but he is a guy who will make a major impact on our offense from day one.”
Chandler Chambers | OF | R/R | 6-0 |175 | Knoxville, Tennessee (Farragut HS)
- Rated as the 10th best outfielder and the 84th best player overall in the state of Tennessee by Perfect Game.
- Led the Admirals to a State Championship in 2014 and a runner-up finish in 2016.
- Also recruited by ETSU, Penn University and Carson Newman.
- His brother, Chase, plays baseball for Tennessee Tech.
- Plans to major in Computer Science.
- Favorite professional athlete is Dustin Pedroia of the Boston Red Sox.
- Favorite music group is Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- His ambition in life is to make a difference.
“Chandler is a speedy outfielder who will immediately fit into our short game and a lot of other things we do on both sides of the field.”
Maxwell Habegger | LHP | L/L | 6-7 |200 | Carmel, Indiana (Carmel HS)
- Rated the 9th best LHP and the 60th best overall player in the state of Indiana by Perfect Game.
- Perfect Game ranks him the 285th best LHP in the nation.
- Named a Perfect Game Underclass Honorable Mention in both 2015 and 2016.
- Led the Greyhounds to a Sectional Championship in 2016.
- Compiled a 5-1 record with a 1.93 ERA in 13 appearances the last two seasons.
- His top high school memory is pitching a 2-hit shutout in the regional semifinal.
- Plans to major in Biology.
“Max is a big left-handed pitcher that we feel has tremendous upside. We are excited about this signing and we hope he will make a contribution early.”
Maddux Houghton | MIF | R/R | 6-0 | 185 | Dalton, Georgia (Dalton HS)
- Perfect Game ranks him as the 17th best shortstop and the 87th best player overall in the state of Georgia.
- Named All-Region in baseball and football in 2015.
- Named All-District in baseball in 2014 and 2015.
- Earned four letters in baseball and three in football.
- His top high school memory is hitting a walkoff home run to beat Dunwoody in the first round of the state playoffs as a junior.
- Selected as a University of Georgia Merit Scholar, a Furman University Scholar and won the Advanced World Literature Award.
- Plans to major in Sports Management.
- Chose Lipscomb over Michigan State, Duke, Memphis and Louisiana Tech.
- His grandmother played basketball at Annhurst College.
- Favorite movie is Facing the Giants.
- Favorite music group is Drake.
- His ambition is to play professional baseball as well as spreading the Gospel of Christ.
“When we sign a middle infielder we like for those guys to be able to play multiple positions, and we feel Maddux hits the nail on the head. He is a very athletic guy that we think will make a contribution early on.”
John Nierman | LHP | L/L | 6-4 | 210 | Zionsville, Indiana (Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School)
- Ranked the 8th best LHP and the 47th best overall player in the state of Indiana by Perfect Game.
- Rated the 214th best LHP in the nation by Perfect Game.
- Led the Braves to a 3A Sectional Championship in 2016.
- Was named a Perfect Game Under Class All-American.
- Voted All-Marion County in 2016.
- Selected as the team’s Most Valuable Pitcher in both 2015 and 2016.
- As a junior he finished 7-0 on the mound with a 1.34 ERA, .849 WHIP and a .149 OBA.
- Pitched a no-hitter in the 2016 Marion County Tournament Semifinal.
- Plans to major in Business/Accounting.
- His great-uncle played basketball at Wake Forest and his cousin played football at Butler.
- Favorite television show is The Office.
- His ambition is to be a man for others and do everything for the greater glory of God.
“While having to upgrade our left-handed starters and relievers, getting John is another tremendous job by our staff. We think all of these new guys are going to be able to come in and make an impact early for our club, and with Joh it is no different.”
Palmer Steventon| LHP | L/L | 6-2 | 188 | Chattanooga, Tennessee (McCallie School)
- Rated the 5th best LHP and the 55th best overall player in the state of Tennessee by Perfect Game.
- Was an All-American in 2015 and 2016 by Perfect Game.
- Helped lead the Blue Tornado to a D2-2AA State Championship in 2014.
- Named D2-2AA All-District and All-Region in 2016 after setting the school record for wins (31-7).
- Earned three letters in baseball at McCallie.
- Never had over a 1.00 ERA in any season playing high school ball.
- Recognized as a Super Sophomore in 2015.
- Named a Milligan Memorial FCA Award winner in 2016.
- Plans to major in Secondary Education.
- Also recruited by Middle Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Lee University, University of Central Florida and Carson Newman.
- Favorite television show is Parks and Recreation.
- Favorite professional athlete is Tom Glavine.
- Has a hidden talent of Beat Boxing.
“Palmer is a lefty that we really needed in order to add some depth. We are excited about what he is going to bring to our staff and looking forward to seeing that flourish in his freshman year.”
Carson Wright | OF | L/L | 5-10 |170 | Knoxville, Tennessee (Farragut HS)
- Rated the 11th best outfielder and the 46th best overall player in the state by Perfect Game.
- Named a 2016 Underclass Honorable Mention by Perfect Game.
- Led his team to the Perfect Game Top 25 Super Regional Championship.
- Named All-Conference as a sophomore and junior.
- As a freshman and sophomore, he was selected as the offensive MVP of the football team.
- Earned two varsity letters in football and three in baseball.
- Batted .397 with two home runs as a sophomore.
- Turned around and hit .437 with two homers as a junior.
- Plans to major in Business.
- Also recruited by Southern Illinois, Penn State, Michigan, Valparaiso and Purdue.
- His dad played baseball at IUPUI.
- Favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Favorite professional athlete is Corey Seager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- His ambition is to inspire those around him to believe they can reach their full potential.
“Carson is a left-handed outfielder that is coming in early and we think will make an impact. He is a great defender and great runner, and is going to end up being a solid offensive player as well.”
Write a Reply or Comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.