Baseball report – Quad City Times




NEW YORK — Baseball owners and players have ratified the sport’s new five-year collective bargaining agreement, extending their labor peace to 26 years through 2021.

The sides announced their approvals Wednesday, a day after holding votes in separate telephone meetings.

“This agreement allows us to build on the positive momentum from last season and promote a generation of young players,” baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

After eight work stoppages from 1972-95, the sides have negotiated deals without a strike or lockout in 2002, 2006, 2011 and this year. The new deal expires Dec. 1, 2021.

Teams voted 29-1 to approve, and Tampa Bay Rays managing general partner Stuart Sternberg was the lone dissenting vote, a person familiar with that meeting told The Associated Press.

While Sternberg declined to comment on the vote, he did express his views on the deal.

“I am thankful for the hard work, leadership, and spirit of compromise that were essential to this agreement coming together,” he said in an email to the AP. “However, twice a decade, the bargaining process provides an opportunity to address the extraordinary and widening competitive gap that exists on-field between higher and lower revenue clubs. I feel that opportunity was missed here.”

Cubs sign Uehara: The Chicago Cubs made another addition to their bullpen following the departure of Aroldis Chapman, agreeing to a $6 million, one-year contract with reliever Koji Uehara.

Chicago now has the pitchers who got the final out of three of the last four World Series — Mike Montgomery (this year), Wade Davis (2015) and Uehara (2013). Davis, who figures to take over as closer, was acquired from Kansas City last week for outfielder Jorge Soler.

Uehara spent the past four years in Boston, and the 41-year-old right-hander went 2-3 with a 3.45 ERA and seven saves in 50 appearances last season. He missed about seven weeks because of a strained right pectoral muscle.

Uehara is 19-22 with a 2.53 ERA over eight seasons with Baltimore (2009-11), Texas (2011-12) and Boston (2013-16). He joins a team that beat Cleveland to end a 108-year championship drought.

Holland to Sox: Derek Holland understands the pivot toward youth by the White Sox and thinks he can thrive in Chicago.

“I wasn’t too concerned. The whole thing is a process,” the 30-year-old left-hander said Wednesday after agreeing to a $6 million, one-year contract. “Whoever is there, I know they’re going to be playing to win.”

Chicago already has traded ace Chris Sale to Boston and outfielder Adam Eaton to Washington. Other deals could be ahead.

Castillo signs: The Baltimore Orioles say they have reached a contract agreement with free agent catcher Welington Castillo, pending a medical review.

Castillo hit .264 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 111 games with Arizona last season. The 29-year-old is expected to take over from four-time All Star Matt Wieters, who became a free agent.

Wieters accepted a $15.8 million qualifying offer last offseason and hit .243 with 17 homers and 66 RBIs in 124 games. He was not given a $17.2 million qualifying offer last month.




Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.