Ex-pro baseball player makes 1st court appearance in Corona triple murder case – KABC-TV

Former pro-baseball player Brandon Martin made his first court appearance Tuesday on triple murder charges with special circumstances for the deaths of his father, uncle and a bystander.

The 22-year-old sported injuries as he faced a judge. Police say he jumped from a second-story home while running from officers.

Martin is accused of going to his parents’ home in Corona and murdering his father, 64-year-old Michael Martin, uncle, 51-year-old Rick Andersen and an ADT security sub-contractor, 62-year-old Barry Swanson.

Marin was arrested Sept. 18, a day after the men’s bodies were found in a home in the 1000 block of Winthrop Drive.

Swanson was at the home installing a home security system. His son is devastated.

“It’s not fair. This shouldn’t happen to a family like mine,” said Jeremy Swanson. “We love my father. He was a good man. He did not deserve this. Nobody deserves this.”

The Swanson family says they want justice.

Investigators say Martin, a former Minor League baseball player, used a bat during the attack. He is facing three counts of murder with special circumstances, making him eligible for the death penalty.

Martin pled not guilty to all charges.

His attorneys are requesting a psychological evaluation, which could have an impact on the prosecution’s case.

“In general terms, one of the things that we always will look at is the mental state of a defendant,” said John Hall of the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office.

Martin had just been released from a mental hold last week when he allegedly killed his victims.

Swanson’s family says the 62-year-old likely tried to stop the attack.

“A loving man was slaughtered for no reason,” said Jeremy Swanson.

Martin is due back in court Oct. 1.

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*