LSU has topped Arkansas 4-2 to win the SEC Baseball Tournament championshp.
Here is how the game unfolded.
WP Eric Walker (7-1), LP Kevin Kopps (3-1), S – Hunter Newman (10)
HR: Arkansas’ Eric Cole (5)
FINAL SCORE: LSU 4, Arkansas 2
* LSU goes 1-2-3.
* Closer Hunter Newman in to pitch. Arkansas gets tying run to the plate with one out in pinch-hitter Alex Gosser. Gosser popped up a 2-0 count.
Eric Cle with a two-out single, cuts lead to 4-2. Top power hitter Spanberger up, but he doesn’t have a hit today. He has five home runs in this tournament.
Spanberger is walked intentionally, so the game-winning run is on first for Luke Bonfield. Bonfield grounds to Kramer Robertson at short, and Robertson flips to third for the force out to end the game.
* Nothing for LSU.
* LSU starter Eric Walker departs with two outs. He was brilliant, striking out eight in 7.2 innings with just five hits allowed and the one solo homer. Nick Bush in for the Tigers. He gives up a double to Fletcher, and is replaced by Zach Hess. Hess strikes out Carson Shaddy.
* Dominic Taccolini in to pitch for Arkansas. Nothing doing for the Tigers. Arkansas also goes 1-2-3.
* Duplantis triples, scores on a sac fly to center. Catcher Koch barely missed him. Throw to second nailed runner leaving from first. Umpires reviewed, but safe call stood. 4-1 LSU.
* Arkansas leaves one on.
* Quick 1-2-3 for LSU in the top. Arkansas leaves two on.
* LSU loads the bases off Kopps with no outs. This keyed by an error from third baseman Jared Gates on a potential double play ball. LHP Matt Cronin in to face power hitter Greg Deichmann.
Cronin struck out Deichmann on a 3-2 pitch. Deichmann gave home plate ump Tony Walsh some lip, but didn’t even get a warning. Not supposed to argue balls and strikes. Cannon Chadwick in to pitch.
Chadwick walked Coomes on a 3-2 pitch, forcing in the first run. Josh Alberius, the fourth pitcher of the inning, in for Arkansas. Smith greets him with an RBI single and a 2-1 lead. Jordan’s fly ball to right is caught, LSU tests him and scores as the throw is up the line for a 3-1 lead.
* Arkansas leaves a runner on
LSU goes 1-2-3.
Eric Cole hits a 1-out solo HR to deep right-center off the back wall for a 1-0 lead.
* LSU gets a single from Deichmann, but he’s thrown out stealing.
* Arkansas had runners on second and third, but they are stranded.
* Arkansas pitcher Kevin Kopps gets LSU 1-2-3, finishing with a strikeout.
* Arkansas goes 1-2-3 off LSU pitcher Eric Walker. Chad Spanberger’s at-bat was a weak groundout to first.
Kevin Kopps starts for Hogs, lineup same to last 3 games, good news is Jake Arledge good to go after HBP on knee pic.twitter.com/nTeC2XlrEF
— Thomas Murphy (@TomMurphyADG) May 28, 2017