France attacks: Sporting fixtures postponed after attacks – BBC News
Several sporting fixtures in France have been postponed after a series of attacks across Paris in which at least 128 people were killed.
Three suicide bombers died in blasts outside the Stade de France while France played Germany on Friday.
The explosions were early in the match and with fans unable to leave after full-time, many came on to the pitch.
All European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup matches set to be played in France this weekend are off.
However, the French Football Federation (FFF) said Tuesday’s international friendly against England at Wembley would
following three days of national mourning.
The postponed European Rugby Champions Cup fixtures include
match against Racing 92 on Saturday, due to be held in the outskirts of Paris, and Bath’s trip to Toulon on Sunday.
Saturday’s two Challenge Cup matches in England involving French sides will go ahead. Worcester Warriors host La Rochelle, while London Irish take on Agen.
Tributes have been paid to the victims of the attacks
at sporting fixtures around the world.
French President Francois Hollande was at Friday’s game at the Stade de France.
At the end of the match, which
France won 2-0,
players watched the news unfolding on monitors inside the tunnel.
Noel le Graet, president of the French Football Federation, said the organisation shared “the grief of the bereaved families and relatives”.
A planned news conference on Saturday involving the France national team was cancelled.
“We are all in shock,” said Germany coach Joachim Low, whose players spent the night inside the stadium before flying to Frankfurt on Saturday.
The team had earlier been evacuated from their hotel following a bomb threat. They have since cancelled their Sunday flight to Hannover, where they will play Netherlands on Tuesday.
“The game and the goals move into the background on a day like this. All of us on the bench were a bit scared,” Low added.
Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko, one of France’s substitutes, said: “There are no words to express what I feel today… All my thoughts to all the victims’ families and friends.”
Former France international Thierry Henry
“I’m appalled by the shocking scenes in Paris at the moment. My thoughts are with all the victims and innocent people suffering right now.”
The FA said: “We send our deep condolences to the victims of the Paris attacks. This is clearly a very serious and tragic matter.”
Uefa said European international fixtures over the next few days would be preceded by a minute’s silence, while teams will wear black armbands.
A minute’s silence will also be held before this weekend’s Football League matches in England.
A spokesman for Glasgow Warriors, who were due to face Racing 92 at Stade Yves-du-Manoir on Saturday, said their players were “all safe in our team hotel on the outskirts of Paris”.
The club are making arrangements to fly back to the United Kingdom after any chance of the game being put back 24 hours was ruled out.
Sporting world pays tribute
Real Madrid forward
was among those from the football world who posted messages on social media. The Wales international wrote: “Stand tall. Stay strong Paris.”
Former England captain David Beckham, a former Paris St-Germain player,
“As the sun rises in this beautiful city we remember the people that have died and the families that have lost loved ones… Our thoughts are with you all.”
French former Wimbledon champion
now Andy Murray’s coach, posted: “Really shocked and disgusted. No words to describe these horrors.”
Jamaica’s Olympic and world sprint champion Usain Bolt simply
Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton
said to his followers:
“I am praying for all those affected in Paris, please pray with me guys.”
Match of the Day host Gary Lineker
“It’s just incomprehensible that human beings can be so evil to innocent, fellow human beings. What a mess of a species we are!”